The Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA), 20 U.S.C. § 1232h, requires Clarion Area School District to notify you and obtain consent or allow you to opt your child out of participating in certain school activities. These activities include a student survey, analysis, or evaluation that concerns one or more of the following eight areas:
- Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or student’s parent.
- Mental or psychological problems of the student or student’s family.
- Sex behavior or attitudes.
- Illegal, anti-social, self incrimination, or demeaning behavior.
- Critical appraisals of others with whom respondents have close family relationships.
- Legally recognized privileged relationships, such as with lawyers, doctors, or ministers.
- Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or parents.
- Income, other than as required by law to determine program eligibility.
This requirement also applies to the collection, disclosure or use of student information for marketing purposes and certain physical exams and screenings.
When such surveys are scheduled, Clarion Area School District will provide parents, within a reasonable period of time prior to the administration of the surveys and activities, notifications of the surveys and activities and be provided an opportunity to opt their child out, as well as an opportunity to review the surveys. Please note that this notice and consent/opt-out transfers from parent to any student who is 18 years old or an emancipated minor under State law.